Thursday, May 14, 2009

Homophobia in Malaysia

It's really common that it was used as a political tool in Malaysia. Lol, I know my point isn't really new or whatever, but I just wanted to talk a little about this phenomenon.

In Malaysia, it's ILLEGAL to be homosexual - you could get jailed. ._. Maybe that's what caused all this homophobia, the people are just not educated to accept homosexuals. Like in school, kids (especially boys) would call friends 'Gay!' and the likes as if it were a negative term. Even parents here teach their children not to be gay/lesbian because they say it is disgusting.

Recently I made researches about homosexuals in Malaysia and found that the law is really against the LGBT society here. It’s frustrating, really. The government seems to treat homosexuality as a disease and shun homosexuals their rights. Gosh, and you know? Any content of homosexuality in movies are censored, and the country even banned homosexual movies because they said that it has a bad influence to the society. (Lol, but anyone could get their hands on a couple of movies such as Brokeback Mountain, Queer as Folk, The L Word and the likes using the internet!)


I mean, come on! The people would get curious about movies like this and they’ll download or buy pirated DVDs here (Uh…though it’s illegal but, who cares?)


People cringe if you talk about homosexual publicly (which I often do) and even though some of my friends talk along with me, some just avoid the topic or said something along the lines of “That’s gross!”


Humans tend to shun away from what they do not understand. They will say that it is EVIL just because they don’t understand it.


The society here would lose respect for you if they find out that you are a gay/lesbian. That may be why rarely any gay/lesbian people would want to come out of the closet. Well, who would want to come out of the closet if you would get discriminated by the society and even get legal charges against you? Hmm…it’s better to play safe and act straight, no?


I must say it’s still too early to consider gay marriage in such a conservative country, but lifting the ‘homosexual as a crime’ rule out of the book might be a good start, no? Well, like Najib had said – something about One Malaysia or something. @.@ Gosh, I ain’t that good with politics, we should NOT shun out the minority in this country.


Damn! It’s a democratic country here!

No comments: